[R] R-2.0.0 and tcltk package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 10 05:21:49 CEST 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 12:36:51PM -0400, Jean Eid wrote:
> there does not seem to be a package "tcltk" on CRAN for 2.0.0.
> I have successfully installed the same package for 1.9.1.
>
> In essence I require the package for a GUI interface to setwd.
> All work fine with 1.9.1.
>
> This is on a Linux Debian unstable kernel 2.4.20

If you were using the pre-built Debian package, you'd have the tcltk package:

edd at homebud:~> dpkg -L r-base-core | grep tcltk/ | wc -l
48
edd at homebud:~> dpkg -L r-base-core | grep tcltk/ | head
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/R
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/R/tcltk
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/R/tcltk.rdb
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/R/tcltk.rdx
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/NAMESPACE
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/DESCRIPTION
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/Meta
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/Meta/package.rds
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/Meta/nsInfo.rds
/usr/lib/R/library/tcltk/Meta/Rd.rds

As you seem to prefer to roll your own (which you could also base on the
Debian package sources which enforce build-time dependencies so that these
things work), I highly recommend to fetch the output of the build process
(e.g. via script(1)) so that you can go back and check what configure told
you -- for it will have almost surely have told you if and when it missed
headers or libraries for tcl/tk.

Hope this helps, regards, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx