[R] functions

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Oct 10 00:56:29 CEST 2004

On Sat,  9 Oct 2004 18:12:20 -0400, "Benjamin M. Osborne"
<Benjamin.Osborne at uvm.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a list of functions that R already "knows?"  I can't seem to
>find this anywhere in the help documentation.  For example, I want to count the
>number of occurences of a certain value in a column of a data frame: What do I
>have to do to tell R to "Count?"

There are several such lists.  The one you want is probably the one
the help system uses.  For example,

help.search('count')

lists a number of functions that count various things.  I don't think
any of them is exactly what you want, which could be accomplished in a
couple of ways:

table(x)

gives counts of all the different values in x;

length(x[x==3])

gives the count of occurences of 3 in x.

Duncan Murdoch