[R] library in R2.0.0 - summary

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Fri Oct 8 10:58:23 CEST 2004

Thanks to Andy Liaw and prof.Ripley for their comments.

I finally managed my function set work without need for proper
installation. However I must try it sometimes.

I got tools from
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/tools.zip

but I did not install Pearl yet. I tried

make pkg-fun

which resulted in sequence of errors which I corrected according
what I was told by screen and documentation (best thanks to all
who provided it)

and finally I end with

1. modified DESCRIPTION file
2. functional set of my functions
3. error message perl: not found

So next step will be trying to install perl (if I am allowed by
suspicious network administrator) and completing the whole
installation.

Thanks again.

Petr

> > From: Petr Pikal
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I upgraded to 2.0.0 version and did everything as I used to do
> > before.
> >
> > I installed windows binary, copy/paste other than bundled
> > packages.
> >
> > I got e.g.
> > > library(chron)
> > Error in library(chron) : 'chron' is not a valid package --
> > installed <
> > 2.0.0?
> >
> > so I loaded it from CRAN and everything worked OK except my
> > own personal functions (they are not on CRAN). So I went
> > through NEWS file which says:
> >
> > o	Packages must have been re-installed for this version, and
> > 	library() will enforce this.
> >
> > I have never done it, my simple set of functions was never actually
> > installed. I used copy/paste the directory from old R version to new
> > one and I used library(fun) in personal .Rprofile to load my
> > function set. Doing that again I got:
> >
> > Error in library(fun) : There is no package called 'fun'
> >
> > I know I can use source
> > source("D:/programy/R/rw2000/library/fun/R/fun")
> > but I feel library way is better way and I think I could try it.
> >
> > Before I start to try transferring my function set to a real
> > package I
> > would like to ask simple ***question***.
> >
> > Is the error message result of not installing package fun correctly
> > (at all) or I shall do something more than follow instructions in
> > README.packages and other documentation?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Petr Pikal
> > petr.pikal at precheza.cz

Petr Pikal