[R] R 2.0.0. startup fast! (was ... slow)

Thomas Petzoldt thpe at hhbio.wasser.tu-dresden.de
Thu Oct 7 13:46:34 CEST 2004

Hello and many thanks for all who replied!

I was wondering, why R 2.0.0/Windows with the complete CRAN set starts
so slow from an NT 4.0 Server. Then I run a lot of systematic tests and
found that only the NT4 server had this behavior but other servers
(Windows 2003 and Linux/Samba) responded quickly.

Moreover I found, that this was due to a large number of directories in
R_HOME/library and that there is a performance difference of local vs.
remote directory listings on windows shares. After finding good keywords
to describe this problem, it is solved now:

It is not an R problem but a (known) networking issue, see article
number 177266 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

According to this I created a new DWORD value with name "SizeReqBuf" to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

and set its value to 14596 (other articles suggest 65535, which requires
more memory).

After ...

  net stop server
  net start server

... the problem disappeared immediately and now R starts and initializes
within 3 seconds, that is absolutely acceptable and much faster than
other, less powerful programs.

Many thanks to the R people for their great software!

Thomas P.