[R] R 2.0.0 (Windows): slow startup over the network

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 14:36:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:

> I installed R 2.0.0/Windows on our network server (Win NT 4.0) with all
> CRAN packages and observed a quick startup on this machine (3s).

That's actually very slow: decent machine are well under 1s.

> However, when startet from different client machines (e.g. Win NT 4.0 or
> Win XP Pro SP2, Athlon XP 1700, 100 Mbit Network) the R Gui Window
> appears immediately but then it takes 90 seconds to get the startup
> message and the command prompt.
>
> The R base configuration (without additional packages) takes only 4
> seconds on both, the server and the client.

So it's slower without the additional packages!

> I disabled the virus scanner, read ?Startup, startet R with the
> --vanilla option, with no effect. Does anyone an have idea, what I can
> do next?

Read the NEWS file, which says

	As the lazy-loading databases will be consulted often, R
	will be slower if run from a slow network-mounted disc.

and I have only seen this with Windows network-mounted discs. With our
7-year-old Sun Sparc 1 server running Samba it takes about 25s, and that
is a pretty extreme situation (and that server is about to be retired),
which were are solving by installing R 2.0.0 locally.

Your network looks very slow, and maybe needs checking out.  No one
checking alpha or beta versions has reported any problems, including you.

I do plan to address this in a future version, and did not do for 2.0.0
precisely because no end-user reported any problem during testing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk