[R] Reading Version 4 .sdd files

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at PDF.COM
Mon Oct 4 21:05:02 CEST 2004

John Chandler wrote:

> Dear R-Help,
>
> I've never had any trouble importing data into R until I had to import
> an .sdd file for a class. The file can be found here:
> http://www.math.umt.edu/steele/Math%20549/Farms.sdd. It begins with the
> line "## Dump S Version 4 Dump ##". I first attempted read.S which
> issued the message "not an S object". I then checked the Import/Export
> manual which seemed to indicate that data.restore might do the trick.
> Alas, it seems that function is trying to interpret the name of the data
> frame as an S mode or some such thing.
>
> Searched the archives (courtesy of Dr. Baron) and found this from Dr.
> Ripley: ".sdd files from S-PLUS 6.0 are
> S4 dumps, and will not work." This was written in 2002, is it still
> accurate? Right now my only obvious course of action is to get on a
> machine that has S+, read in this file and dump it in a more useful
> format. Are their others?

Yes, it is still accurate. If you load the file in S-PLUS then do a
data.dump with oldStyle = TRUE then you should be able to use
data.restore in R quite easily. If you don't have access to S-PLUS I'm
sure someone on this list (including myself) would be happy to do the
conversion for you.

--sundar