[R] Building latest version of package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 13:01:42 CET 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a package which was built using R 1.9.1 and everything worked
> fine.  I recently upgraded to R 2.0.1 and tried to re-install my package
> - and I got:
>
> Error in library(mypackage) : 'mypackage' is not a valid package --
> installed < 2.0.0?

I don't think you re-installed it, rather unzipped the zip file.

> So I tried rebuilding it using my new version of R:
>
> R CMD BUILD --binary mypackage
>
> hhc: not found
> cp: cannot stat `mypackage.chm': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [chm-mypackage] Error 1
> make: *** [pkg-mypackage] Error 2
> *** Installation of mypackage failed ***
>
> Removing 'f:/tmp/Rbuild.2972/mypackage'
> ERROR
> * installation failed
>
> I didn't have these problems before.  What is "hhc" and why can't R find
> it?

README.packages says what it is, and R is not looking for it, but make is.
Probably because you didn't check the checklist in README.packages.  This
is not a new requirement.

> In general, will I have to re-build my package everytime a new version
> of R is released?

No.  But we are talking about installing, not building, here.  Please look
in `Writing R Extensions' to see the difference.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk