[R] New trellis settings

dhinds@sonic.net dhinds at sonic.net
Tue Nov 30 05:39:55 CET 2004

I've just upgraded to 2.0.1 and was taken by surprise by the changes
in graphical parameter handling for lattice plots.  I'd previously
been using 1.9.1.  The old settings seem to have been replaced by a
daunting number of new options.  I've poked around a bit and have not
seen any discussion of the changes in the newsletter or on r-help but
maybe I'm overlooking something?

Specifically, I have some code that in the past changed the relative
proportions of text versus the plot area using:

  trellis.par.set('fontsize', list(text=8))

which caused all text to get smaller, and the plot area to grow to
fill the larger available space.  Now, the plot area does not grow on
its own.  I've tried fiddling with layout.heights, layout.widths, and
axis.components but there are dozens of settings available.  For many
of these settings, I have no idea what quantity I'm actually changing,
other than by trial and error.  Is there an easier way?

-- Dave