[R] >2GB dataset

Ernesto Jardim ernesto at ipimar.pt
Sat Nov 27 23:49:36 CET 2004

Hi,

I've been using large datasets (>GB) and I've stored them in MySQL
databases and use RMySQL to access them. My feeling is that most of the
times you don't need to keep the dataset in your workspace, but you need
to access parts of it or aggregate it in some way, before run some
analysis. So use what is best from each world, databases to store and
perform partial selections and aggregations, and R to statistical
analysis.

You'll be amazed with the speed of this 2 together (R & MySQL).

Regards

EJ