[R] Making legend() look like my plot()

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 10:32:26 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Martin Maechler wrote:

>    Dan> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>    >> Dan Bolser wrote:
>    >>> Is this an impossible task?
>    >>>
>    >>> How about just problem 2 below, having one pch in one
>    >>> legend entry, but no pch in the second?
>    >>  Please be at least a little bit patient! This is not a
>    >> hotline! People are not working 24 hours a day just to
>    >> answer your questions at once - they are answering
>    >> questions on a voluntary basis!
>    >>
>    >> answer 1) is not straightforward, but you might want to
>    >> use one of fillable symbols mentioned in ?points,
>    >> e.g. number 21
>    >>
>    >> answer 2) pch = c(1, NA) should do the trick.
>    >>
>    >> legend(....., pch=c(21,NA), lwd=c(1,3), lty=c(1,3),
>    >>               pt.bg="white", col=1:2)
>
>    Dan> Ahhh... I tried pch=c(1,NULL), pt.bg='white'
>    Dan> I couldn't work out what was going on..
>
>hmm, really,... at least you could have tried to see  what
>c(1,NULL) is, by just "typing it at the prompt" !

Too long at the SQL prompt made me think it was immutably correct.

That and the fact that c(1,'') was making both pch dissapear made me think
the whole thing was messed up.

How come legend isn't ablt to auto detect the line types in my plot and
add them automatically?

Is this just an issue of 'that would be cool if I had time', or is it more
fundamental?

Cheers,
Dan.