[R] confidence interval of a average...

Duncan Harris dunc_harris at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 22:08:45 CET 2004

I have a sample of lung capacities from a population measured against
height.  I need to know the 95% CI of the lung capacity of a person of
average height.

I have fitted a regression line.

How do I get a minimum and maximum values of the 95% CI?

My thinking was that this has something to do with covariance, but how?

My other thinking was that I could derive the 0.975 (sqrt 0.95) CI for the
height.  Then I could take the lower height 0.975 CI value and calculate
from that the lower 0.975 value from the lung capacity. And then do the same
for the taller people.  That is bound to be wrong though.

Dunc