[R] Convergence problem in GLMM

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Nov 24 05:53:52 CET 2004

I was trying to install some more packages and ran into a problem
I hadn't seen before.

Version:

    platform sparc-sun-solaris2.9
    arch     sparc
    os       solaris2.9
    system   sparc, solaris2.9
    status
    major    2
    minor    0.1
    year     2004
    month    11
    day      15
    language R

Fortran compilers available to me:

    f77: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 FORTRAN 77 5.3 2001/05/15
    f90: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 Fortran 95 6.2 2001/05/15
    f95: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 Fortran 95 6.2 2001/05/15

Package:

    gam

    In fact I didn't ask for this one specifically, I had
    "dependencies=TRUE" in a call to install.packages().

Problem:

    Following the installation instructions for R, I had selected F95
    as my Fortran compiler.

    The f95 compiler complained about nearly every line of
    gam/src/bsplvd.f

    From the error messages as displayed on the screen, I could see no
    reason for complaint.  However, looking at the file with a text
    editor immediately revealed the problem.  The files

	bsplvd.f	bvalue.f	bvalus.f	loessf.f
	qsbart.f	sgram.f		sinerp.f	sslvrg.f
	stxwx.f

    all use CR-LF line termination.  The files

	linear.f	lo.f		splsm.f

    all use LF line termination expected on UNIX.

    It turns out that the g77 and f77 compilers don't mind CR at the
    end of a line, but f90 and f95 hate them like poison.

    Removing the CRs makes f90 and f95 happy again.

Second-order problem:

    I know how to fix the immediate problem.  What I don't know is how
    to intervene in the installation process.  What I need to do is
	- get and unpack files (steps normally done by install.packages)
	- make changes (remove CR, edit configuration, whatever)
	- resume whatever install.packages normally does