[R] The hidden costs of GPL software?

David Forrest drf5n at maplepark.com
Wed Nov 24 03:21:52 CET 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

> Patrick Burns wrote:
> > [....]
> > No, I'm not volunteering to build the system.
>
> Too bad! ;-)
>
> Indeed, the idea to index tens of thousands of functions could not be
> appealing to many of us! Why not to consider to test such ideas at the
> package level? I mean, building a system that points out the packages of
> interest (those in CRAN, of course), given a search phrase would be a more
> resonable work. Then, looking at online help of that particular package
> would be the small additional effort required by the user. The problem here
> is with heterogeneous packages (the XXXXmisc, and the like)...

This mail archive works well if the questions are well posed and answered:

help.search.archive<-function(string){
   RURL="http://www.google.com/u/newcastlemaths"
   RSearchURL=paste(RURL,"?q=",string,sep='')
   browseURL(RSearchURL)
   return(invisible(0))
 }
help.search.google<-function(string){
   RURL="http://www.google.com/search"
   RSearchURL=paste(RURL,"?sitesearch=r-project.org&q=",string,sep='')
   browseURL(RSearchURL)
   return(invisible(0))
 }

help.search.archive('volatility') # may soon show Dr. Harrell's example
help.search.google('volatility') # may show enough

Is there package data that is not searchable through the google search?

Dave
--
 Dave Forrest
 drf at vims.edu                                    (804)684-7900w