R: R: a question on plot(), workspace or method dispatch, NOT about: Re: [R] RWinEdt, other text editors and R2.01 a problem in pasting commands

giovanna jona lasinio giovanna.jonalasinio at uniroma1.it
Tue Nov 23 11:03:48 CET 2004

The problem I'm pointing out do not happen if I type commands directly
on the command window (as I wrote in the yesterday email) but it shows
when I source any ascii file containing R-command lines, even files I
used in several of my classes and always worked before.
I'm starting to suspect a virus however my antivirus didn't find
anything.
Yesterday I removed R2.0 and started over with R1.9 but nothing changed.

Well just now I tried, in a new workspace
x<-rnorm(30)
u<-c(510,520,530,540,550,600,610,620,630,640,650,700,710,720,730,740,750
,800,810,820,830,840,850,900,910,920,930,940,950,1000)
plot(x,xaxt="n",xlab="time",main="trying",ylab="x",type="l")
axis(1,1:30,labels=as.character(u))

Everything seems to work if I type on the command window, if sourcing
from a file with the same lines and if I cut and paste. Yesterday the
same happened for sometime on new and old workspaces, then the problem
started over again and this morning the problem was there always in new
and old workspaces... I really do not understand what is causing this
unstable behavior. I used to work under Windows NT and I moved to XP
recently then I do not already have a good knowledge of this OS and then
I do not know if the problem may depend on the R-XP interface.... Or
where to look...

Right now I installed only the basic R packages + Rwinedt packages, I'm
going to reinstall the other packages now...
Thanks for any help you can give me :)
Giovanna