[R] Danish characters i R2.0.1 vs R1.9.1 under winXP

Hans Gardfjell hans.gardfjell at eg.umu.se
Tue Nov 23 00:44:32 CET 2004

Sorry for not reporting earlier, but the same problem exists with Swedish verisons
of Windows XP together with R 2.0.0 patched (but not with R 1.9.1) and the last
characters in our alphabet.

> "ä"
[1] "\344"
> "ö"
[1] "\366"
> "Ã¥"
[1] "Ã¥"
> "Ö"
[1] "\326"
> "Ä"
[1] "\304"
>"
[1] "\305"

Hans Gardfjell
Ecology and Environmental science
Umeå University, Sweden

>The problem is in your OS, which thinks the character \370 is not
>printable in your locale.

>Apparently this is a WinXP problem, for it also thinks \366 is not
>printable in German (and other versions of Windows thinks it is).
>(Uwe Ligges pointed that out a few hours ago.)

>R 1.9.1 did not check, and so made a mess of trying to print non-printable
>characters, in particular nuls and control characters.

>There is no simple workaround, as you do want octal representation for
>non-printable characters (e.g. embedded nuls).  What I have proposed is
>that we override Windows' view for upper (>= 0x80) characters.

>It does not seem to be common: the only reports before today were for
>Chinese, which is not expected to work.

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Ladelund, Steen wrote:

>>/ Hi all.
/>>/
/>>/ After upgrading to R2.0.1 i get
/>>/
/>>>/ "æ"
/>>/ [1] "æ"
/>>>/ "ø"
/>>/ [1] "\370"
/>>>/ "Ã¥"
/>>/ [1] "Ã¥"
/>>/
/>>/ Whereas under R1.9.1 i get
/>>/
/>>>/ "æ"
/>>/ [1] "æ"
/>>>/ "ø"
/>>/ [1] "ø"
/>>>/ "Ã¥"
/>>/ [1] "Ã¥"
/>>/
/>>/ Any hints apreciated.
/>>/
/>>/ Steen
/>>/
/>>/ Steen Ladelund, statistician
/>>/ +4543233275 stelad01.FUNNYAglostruphospDOTkbhamt.dk
/>>/ Research Center for Prevention and Health
/>>/ Glostrup University Hospital, Denmark
/>>/ www.fcfs.kbhamt.dk
/>>/
/>>/
/>/