[R] Tools for data preparation?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Nov 19 12:39:18 CET 2004

My choices are (in the order of my preference):

- use connections and readLines()/strsplit()/etc. in R to process the file a
chunk at a time

- use cut/paste/grep/etc., perhaps within pipe() in R

- use awk, perhaps within pipe() in R

- Python is my last resort, as I'm not familiar with it

The first preference is to do it all in R, mostly for the reason that I can
keep track of what was done all in one place (the R script or function).

Andy