[R] Tools for data preparation?

Marc Mamin M.Mamin at intershop.de
Fri Nov 19 10:28:00 CET 2004

Hello David,

I had the same problem with log files containing many fields separated by the "|" character.

My task was to extract parts of some fields with regular expression and normalize the result to compact them (using R functions factor and table)

To reduce the data size, I first split the logfile into "subfiles" containing only one field from the original data.
So I could process one field after the other instead of loading the complete log file.

under Linux:

	cutfile<-function(index,afile,tmpdir,wd){
	#index: list of fields to keep
	#afile: logfile
	setwd(wd)
	system(paste('for n  in ',index,'; \n',
         'do sudo gzip -dc ',afile,' | cut -f$n -d"|" > ',tmpdir,'/',afile,'.$n \n',
         'done;',sep=''))
	return(1)
}

exampe: cutfile(c(1,5,8),'mylog',outputdir,sourcedir)

=> files mylog,1, mylog.5, mylog.8

HTH,

Marc Mamin