[R] Clipboard under Linux/Unix

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 09:17:42 CET 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

> This may be a trivial question, but I don't find the answer in R online
> help. Under Windows, I can copy/paste to the clipboard using
> readClipboard()/writeClipboard(), or something like cat(..., file =
> "clipboard"). Are there equivalent function for other platforms?

No.  There is not necessarily even the equivalent of a clipboard; I am
typing this in a terminal session on a remote computer that has no access
to the clipboard on my local windowing system (nor even to my local
display: for performance reasons the X11 connection is not forwarded,
and even if it were, I do the same thing from my Windows laptop and
there Exceed and Windows have separate clipboards in different formats).

Please do use R-devel and not R-help for programming questions: see the
posting guide.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk