[R] Performing regression using R & C

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 19 08:48:21 CET 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Greg Tarpinian wrote:

> I have found "Numerical Recipes in C" to be extremely
> helpful in my statistical studies.  OLS is described
> in detail in this book.

Maybe just read the R code: src/library/stats/R/lm.R contains function
lm.fit(), which is a wrapper for the Fortran subroutine dqrls(), and is
about as finely honed as you get. It won't give you the standard errors,
but you get the coefficients and the qr object, from which the rest can be
constructed. Using well-supported and maintained code does save time too!

But maybe there are moving window functions around that you can use
without having to "roll your own", searching on "moving window" at
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/search.html gave 85 hits, including the
following, which you may find fruitful:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/26904.html

Roger