[R] Errors checking a library

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 18 15:26:34 CET 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am writing an R library.  The documentation for one of my functions
> includes an example that I *know* works - simply cut and paste into R on
> either Windows and Linux and it works perfectly, no errors or warnings,
> nothing, nyet.
>
> However, when I run "R CMD check" on the library, I get an error.  I am
> running R CMD check on linux, and the offending piece of code appears to
> be:
>
> cox[cox$group %in% onc,]
>
> "cox" is a data frame, one of the columns of which is group, which
> contains numbers.  "onc" is a vector of numbers.
>
> The output on Linux from R CMD check is this:
>
> > # lots of code
> > # lots of code
> >cox[cox$group
> +
> +
> + # the rest of my code
> Error: syntax error
> Execution halted
>
> As can be seen, my code "cox[cox$group %in% onc,]" seems to have been
> executed incorrectly.  Does R CMD check have a problem with the "%in%"
> operator?  It would seem that R has somehow got mixed up and has lost
> the rest of my command.

I'm guessing at what you may mean, so excuse me getting it wrong. If the
code is in an example in a help file (*.Rd, \examples{} block), then the %
may be being interpreted as a comment character, and the remainder of the
line not processed - see Writing R Extensions -> Writing R documentation
files -> Insertions.

If that is the problem, then escaping the % by \% should fix it, that it
what is done in src/library/base/man/match.Rd anyway.