[R] Where has the Debian respository gone?

stats stats at psyctc.org
Thu Nov 18 09:52:38 CET 2004

Hello Dirk,

Monday, November 15, 2004, 1:35:27 AM, you wrote:

DE> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:53:42PM +0100, Christoph Bier wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Did I miss something or is it just a temporary problem? Where has
>> the Debian respository
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org woody/main Packages
>> resp.
>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/
>>
>> gone? I tried it for about the last 7 hours.

DE> Current R and CRAN packages are on the Debian archives; you can install
DE> these on testing too.  To the best of my knowledge, there are no backports
DE> of current R and Debian CRAN packages to Debian stable.

I'm a bit puzzled.  I had
        deb http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian woody main
in /etc/apt/sources.list and had hoped, perhaps rather unwisely, that
this would look after the transition from 1.8.0 on my internet server (Debian
stable) where it serves up some cgi-bin work.  (Most of my R work is
on a Win2k machine, much though I'd like to go Debian all the way,
that isn't possible for my main job in near future.)

Is there an easy way of upgrading R on a Debian stable machine?  I
don't want to move off stable as the security side of that server is
too important.  I also don't really want to compile it myself if I can
avoid that, the server is pretty old iron and that might back up all
the Email stuff it does.

Advice anyone?

TIA,

Chris