[R] frailty and time-dependent covariate

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 17 17:21:38 CET 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Emanuela Rossi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to estimate a cox model with a frailty variable and
> time-dependent covariate (below there is the statement I use and the
> error message). It's seems to be impossible, because every time I add
> the time-dependent covariate the model doesn't converge. Instead, if I
> estimate the same model without the time-dependent covariate it's
> converge. I'd like knowing if it's a statistical problem due to the
> model formula or if it could be a problem related to my data.

The message you quote probably does not indicate a convergence problem,
since it is only in "iterations 1 3".

Howver, there does seem to be a bug with interactions of any sort in
frailty models, something connected with reordering terms.  You could try
defining a variable by hand for your interaction term and fitting the
model that way.

Incidentally, I am not nearly as enthusiastic about the frailty models as
many users seem to be.  For most multivariate survival problems I
wouldn't want to fit a frailty model, and I'm not sure that I would trust
the penalised likelihood approximation if I did.   The exception would be
situations where I was actually interested in the variance components, as
in Dr Therneau's new "kinship" package for linkage analysis with survival
data.

 	-thomas