[R] The hidden costs of GPL software?

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:47:09 CET 2004

On 11/17/04 12:34, Ted Harding wrote:
>This, though, still fails for information in packages which
>you have not installed. Perhaps I'm about to reveal my own
>culpable ignorance here, but I'm not aware of a "full R info"
>package which would be installed as part of R-base, being
>a database of info about R-base itself and also every current
>additional package, such that a "help.search" would show
>all resources -- including those not installed -- which
>match a query (and flag the non-installed ones as such so
>that the user knows what to install for a particular purpose).

This is one of the purpose of my R search page.  I have all
packages installed.  You can also search the help list, etc., in
the same search.  Some people have bookmarks for it.  Of course
you need to be connected to the internet.

I think that any attempt to replicate this for a single user, or
even the packages, would be difficult.

BUT, it might help to install just the help pages for all
packages, without the packages themselves.  Then help.search()
would find things.  (I have no interest in figuring out how to do
this, but maybe someone else does.)

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R search page: http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/