[R] CDs for R?

Stuart Leask stuart.leask at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 10:05:48 CET 2004

I note similar discussions re. 'linux live' distributions, and another key
point made there is that, with a moving target (ie. several significant
upgrades a year), one shouldn't contribute to the vast mountain of landfill
CDRs already represent.

Which makes me wonder about changing the model a bit ie. folks who want it
on CD send a CDRW or USB key with a stamped, self-addressed enveloped to
somewhere (central, or the 'buddy list' already suggested) where the
requested files will be burnt on. The 'cost' of burning these could be seen
as one consequence of the GPL!

That way, most of the 'manufacture & distribution' costs stay where they
should ie. with the person who wants the CD, and we aren't generating more
rapidly-useless CDs...

Stuart