[R] problem building an R package under Windows XP with calls to

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 22:04:23 CET 2004

Please do read the posting guide: that clearly indicates you sent this to
the wrong list.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Romain Neugebauer wrote:

[Comments removed about how you didn't know how to use VC++, a compiler we
don't recommend but for which e.g. `S Programming' has extensive
examples.]

> I this more complex package, I use several calls to "printf" in the C
> program of that package. I also use "cat" calls in the R function of the
> package. It turns out that all calls to "cat" work without problem
> whereas calls to "printf" always fail (i.e. nothing is displayed in R).
> What is also interesting is that the calls to "printf" are however all
> displayed after I quit R. So it looks like it is R that does not allow
> my C program to display text on the standard output. This is very
> surprising because the simple package "test" I described above does work
> just fine even though it also uses "printf" calls.

The answer to your question is `use Rprintf'.  Please read `Writing R
Extensions', carefully, and you will be less surprised.
Reading the rw-FAQ would help, too.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk