[R] R with Sun Studio Fortran 95 compiler

Bizuet Cabrera Fernando fbizuet at banxico.org.mx
Thu Nov 11 01:40:43 CET 2004

Hi,

I am trying to compile R 1.9.1 and 2.0.0 on Solaris 2.8 with Sun Studio
Fortran 95 compiler but I have obtained some errors which I enclose. I
have compiled R with g77 GNU compiler and it was OK.

Does anyone know if R 2.0.0 has been successfully built on Solaris 2.8
with Sun Studio Fortran 95 compiler? or at least, How could I achieve
this? The R installation manual does not have any reference.

I want Sun Fortran in order to use the Sun performance library
libsunperf since I noticed that R on Windows XP is twice faster than R
on Sun Solaris 2.8 without library libsunperf.

Thanks in advance.

$ ./configure --enable-R-shlib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... tools/install-sh -c

... Skip

checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8

...skip

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
defining F77 to be f95
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether f95 accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes

... skip

checking for f95 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if f95 PIC flag -fPIC works... no
checking if f95 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the f95 linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... f95: Warning: Option
-print-search-dirs passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
Usage: f95 [ options ] files.  Use 'f95 -flags' for details
solaris2.8 ld.so

...skip

checking how to get verbose linking output from f95... -v
checking for Fortran libraries of f95...  -L/usr/local/lib
-R/opt/SUNWspro/lib/v8plus:/opt/SUNWspro/lib -L/opt/SUNWspro/lib/v8plus
-L/opt/SUNWspro/prod/lib/v8plus -L/opt/SUNWspro/lib
-L/opt/SUNWspro/prod/lib -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/lib -L/usr/lib -lompstubs
-lfui -lfai -lfai2 -lfsumai -lfprodai -lfminlai -lfmaxlai -lfminvai
-lfmaxvai -lfsu -lsunmath -lm
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... unknown
configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
See `config.log' for more details.