[R] cubic spline/smoother with nlme

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Wed Nov 10 23:29:28 CET 2004

Suzette,
In addition to Professor Daalgard's suggestions of ns() and bs(), you could
also try out rcs() from Frank Harrell Design package (you may need his Hmisc
package as well). This function helps to fit natural (restricted cubic
splines), and have been very useful for me in practice to use in tandem with
lme() in modeling longitudinal data.

Hope that helps,
Bill