[R] increase memory size on Unix

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 9 17:45:21 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Hua Li wrote:

> Is there any way I can increase memory size for R under Unix?  I tried Memory
> function, which was not working.

Possibly because there is no Memory function.

The standard configuration of R under Unix uses all the memory the
operating system will give it.  If your computer is set up this way then
you probably cannot increase the memory size as an R user.  It is possible
that your computer administrator may be able to increase the memory size
that the operating system provides by changing quotas or swap space or
something.

On the other hand, running out of memory now often means hitting the
address space limits of 32-bit systems, which can't be solved in software.

 	-thomas