[R] R under Pocket PC

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Nov 9 16:25:42 CET 2004

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Lars Strand wrote:
>
> > Will R run under Windows Pocket PC?
>
> We don't know!
>
> There are no binary versions of R for that platform, but perhaps you could
> find a suitable compiler and manage to build the sources.

The PDA idea is quite interesting on all sorts of hardware.
Unfortunately, the tools for (cross-)building software tend to be
rather "hackish" and poorly documented. I believe people have had some
success with the Sharp Zaurus, but that of course runs a Linux
variant. Looks like at least some toolchains are around for WinCE, but
the bad news is that WinCE is a stripped-down Windows, so you are
likely to find that the Windows sources do not just work. A console
version could be fairly simple, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Googling for "pocketgcc"  chased up  some interesting stuff.
"wince+tcltk" suggested that there is a functional tcltk, which means
that you might use that for an initial GUI and - who knows - maybe
tkrplot for the graphics.