[R] rgl on Mac OS

Saiwing Yeung saiwing at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 9 06:45:55 CET 2004

Jari, thanks so much for the advice. I followed your instruction and could
install rgl too. It's really fun playing with it.

I have written up a more detailed instruction, hopefully this will help less
experienced R users.

1) go to apple.com, download Developer Tools and X11. You need to sign up as
an ADC member if you haven't yet. Install both.
2) go to http://www.rna.nl/ii.html, get i-installer, install it. Run
i-installer, find the libpng package and install it.
3) Download the source of rgl
4) At the terminal, do "R CMD INSTALL rgl". I did this in super use mode, I
am not sure if I needed to though.

If this is successful, you will see
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rg
l.so being created

Saiwing