[R] Kernel Density estimation - locfit package

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com
Wed Nov 3 17:41:16 CET 2004

Kwabena Adusei-Poku wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I am presently using the locfit package in "R" and would appreciate some
> help here. Could anyone tell me tell me how I can obtain the various
> components (x and y values)of the density estimation after using the "R"
> command "locfit"? For example, with the command
> "fhat<-density(somename)" I can obtain the x and y values by simply
> calling "fhat$x" and "fhat$y". This doesn't seems to work with the
> "locfit" command.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kwabena

On the ?locfit help page it says:

      An object with class '"locfit"'. A standard set of methods for
      printing, ploting, etc. these objects is provided.

This implies that there should be a fitted.locfit method. And, indeed,
there is:

data(ethanol)
x <- ethanol$E
fit <- locfit(~ x)
plot(x[order(x)], fitted(fit)[order(x)], type = "n")

HTH,

--sundar