[R] Color schemes that work for people with color-deficient vision

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 3 02:23:29 CET 2004

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:04:48 -0800, Scott Waichler
<scott.waichler at pnl.gov> wrote:

>A recent article in the earth science literature cited below and available at
>http://geography.uoregon.edu/datagraphics/EOS/
>points out that rainbow color schemes and mixtures of green and yellow
>can be troublesome for people with color-deficient vision.
>The authors propose alternative schemes that can be viewed and downloaded
>in RGB, HSV, CMYK, and RGB256 formats from
>http://geography.uoregon.edu/datagraphics/color_scales.htm.
>I have translated their RGB definitions into the hex color names given below.

Thomas Lumley has just written a couple of functions that make
experimentation with scales like this a lot easier.  They're currently
in R-devel, and will appear in R 2.1.0 next spring.  If you want to
play with them before that, you can get the source and the docs from

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/graphics/R/colorRamp.R

and

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/graphics/man/colorRamp.Rd

Duncan Murdoch