[R] multiple nesting levels in GEE

Aurelie.Cohas@univ-lyon1.fr Aurelie.Cohas at univ-lyon1.fr
Sat May 29 10:45:43 CEST 2004

 Hello,

I'm actually trying to fit a gee model with 2 nesting levels since I expect a
correlation between all members of a litter at a first level and between all
individuals sharing a mother at a second superior level with an exchangeable
matrix. I order my dataframe by both mother and litter

I try several syntaxes:
id= mother*litter which give the same correlation matrix as id= litter*mother
and id=litter with a matrix size of 7*7 which correspond to the maximum number of
young per litter

id=litter|mother which give the same correlation matrix as id=mother|litter with
a correlation matrix size of 235*235 which correspond to the number of
observations

id=litter/mother and id=mother/litter give different result with a strange matrix
of 11*11 with no 1 on the diagonal

If anybody know if it is possible to construct nesting levels in R and what is
the good syntax for this kind of model?

Thanks in advance

Aurélie Cohas