[R] any simple examples for SJAVA please

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Fri May 28 16:09:17 CEST 2004

The SJava package is a very flexible and general bidirectional
interface between R and Java that can allow not only
simple data and complex data structures to be passed between
the languages, but also references to objects
including using R functions as Java methods.  Other approaches
to inter-system interfaces are much simpler and direct
but as  a result are more limited for general computation.
There is a great deal of infrastructure under SJava that makes
it a general Java interpreter.
And building a variety of different communication mechanisms
to R really ignores the existng literature  in the subject.

Unfortunately, there are more opinions about the SJava
package than people who actually understand the issues.
At the moment, what is a real problem is that
there isn't a significant culture for people
to help package authors distribute Windows binaries,
but more that Windows users require software
without any additional effort.
Unfortunately, I do not have the time to keep my Windows machine upgraded for service
packages, virus software, etc. simply to create binaries for
Windows users that I currently do not need.

I would be very happy to work with someone who uses Windows
and wanted to take on providing binaries. I can
both explain and simplify the build process
(dropping the support for S-Plus).  But it is prohibitive
to spend all my time supporting the Omegahat packages and R  on numerous platforms
while still doing research so that people have fresh ideas in 5 years time.
There is a real danger that statistical computing research will become
bogged down servicing currrent needs of users and extending
concepts that were research topics 20 years ago  rather than
working on new concepts that will needed for the future.

So I am hoping that one or more people can volunteer to
help with maintaining the Windows port.
It is definitely not trivial as the SJava package is more complex
in nature (and implemenation) than  many others, but it is
feasible.

  D.