FW: [R] is.weekend() odd behaviour

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed May 26 18:34:23 CEST 2004

I think the user should be forced to convert explicitly from POSIXct
to chron before is.weekend is used.  That way the user will know for
sure what time zone he is converting with respect to.  Having it done
silently will just cause subtle errors.

IMHO the correct functionality is to give an error message if the user
attempts to provide a POSIXct date.

Matthew Dowle <mdowle <at> concordiafunds.com> writes:

:
: Kurt,
:
: Uwe suggested I write to you as maintainer of chron ... at the start of
: is.weekend, in the check on the argument type, maybe just change chron() to
: as.chron()? This would ensure as.chron.POSIXt gets called on POSIXt
: arguments, and (I think) fixes the problem. I tested and it seems ok. No
: warning/error required.
:
: > is.weekend
: function(x)
: {
:     if(!inherits(x, "dates"))
:         if(is.character(x) || is.numeric(x))
:             x <- as.chron(x)   # was  x <- chron(x)
:         else stop("x must inherit from dates")
: }
: