[R] Accessing more than 2GB memory in Windows

Marcus Davy MDavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Mon May 24 23:39:39 CEST 2004

Hi,
thanks to Prof Brian Ripley for clarifying this, I should have stated
that the FAQ link I provided
was for R 1.9.0 for windows.

A nice summary of the issue on 32 bit systems and physical RAM
limitations of (more recent)
windows operating systems can be found at:

 http://www.michna.com/kb/WxMoreThan2GB.htm.

According to microsoft information the  /3GB switch in the Boot.ini is
available for the following
operating systems;

Windows XP Professional
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition

marcus

>>> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> 22/05/2004 10:11:48 PM

R can.

R 1.8.1 cannot, but it is obselete.

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Marcus Davy wrote:

> I am also interested in the same topic, that is windows 32bit
> restriction to 4Gigs of virtual
> address space partitioning into User and System space.
> For your reconfigured server 3:1 User to System space what does
>
> memory.limit()
>
> say is available?
>
> For those interested a windows FAQ link on this subject is

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/R/rw-FAQ.html#There%20seems%20to%20be%20a%20limit%20on%20the%20memory%20it%20uses!

(and in the distribution, lonked from the menus). That explicitly says

  The information here applies only to recent versions of R for
Windows,
  (1.9.0 or later); the current version is often called something like

  rw1090 (although not officially).

At least two users who were interested have reported success after
following those instructions (during the pre-release testing phase).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk