[R] Mac OS X jpg

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 24 20:48:16 CEST 2004

I think the message is very clear.  Try ?BATCH

     Using 'R CMD BATCH' sets the GUI to '"none"', so none of 'x11',
     'jpeg' and 'png' are available.

and ?jpeg

     R can be compiled without support for either or both of these
     devices: this will be reported if you attempt to use them on a
     system where they are not supported.  They will not be available
     if R has been started with '--gui=none' (and will give a different
     error message), and they may not be usable unless the X11 display
     is available to the owner of the R process.

The bitmap() device will work under R CMD BATCH.

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Rafael Najmanovich wrote:

> 	I am using R 1.9.0 (2004-04-12) for Mac OS X.	I am having trouble
> printing to a jpg file. This only happens when I use R in batch (with
> the BATCH option) mode. If I launch the R GUI or the command line
> version and run the script from either, I have no problems. Only when
> running in BATCH mode I get a file with the same name as my script
> where I find the following message at the end:
>
> > Error in jpeg(filename = file, width = 1500, height = 2000, pointsize
> > = 12,  :
> >         R_X11 module cannot be loaded
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > X11 module is not available under this GUI
> > Execution halted
>
> 	When I run the same script with the only difference that it prints to
> a postscript file instead, all works fine.
>
> 	Any  suggestions as to what could the problem be?

Failure to consult the documentation, I believe.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk