[R] RPM post-install scripts to update R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon May 24 16:55:32 CEST 2004

chris albert <christopher.albert at mcgill.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Paul Johnson asked:
>
>     While I'm on the RPM subject, can I ask an R RPM packaging question? I
>     want the R RPM to install so that post install then R starts and runs
>     > update.packages()
>
>     as well as
>
>     install.packages(c("Design","Hmisc","lmtest","car","rgl","effects"))
>
>     well, you get the idea. I want to add in more packages, of course. Can
>     I ask what might be the best way to package this?
>
> You can add scripts to the %post macro section.

...etc...

Erm, but would you really want the result of installing an RPM to
depend on the install date and the previous configuration of the
system?

I can appreciate Paul's desire to automate, but when designing an RPM,
you also have to consider that you'd be doing things that the user
may not even know what mean. That sort of thing easily becomes a
support nightmare.