[R] non-hierarchical non-exclusive clustering of large data sets

Bhaskar S. Manda bhaskar at cacmnet.com
Mon May 24 17:12:28 CEST 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:58:57 +0200, Murk Wuite wrote:
> I'm trying to use R to cluster words with related meanings. Does anyone
> know of a non-hierarchical clustering method in R that produces
> non-exclusive clusters? With non-exclusive, I mean that words should

The "fanny" method in library(cluster) outputs probabilities of membership in
each cluster.

> the one above, its dimensions would be in the order of (100000,
> 100000). Does anyone know if this would cause practical problems,
>  perhaps very slow clustering?

I had a much smaller matrix, 4000x3, fanny took about 4 minutes wall clock
time on a lightly loaded (there were many other processes, but none
computational) 1.4 GHz Athlon, It was completely CPU-bound.

--
bhaskar