[R] Re: Windows versus Unix packages in CRAN ...

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Fri May 21 14:02:15 CEST 2004

Janusz Kawczak wrote:

> You simply need to remove the stuff related to MS Win from zzz.R;
> in partricular the lines after if( .... ) to clear your message.
> As you can see, the info relates to the WinMenu under MS Win.

I think people have been more than a little disingenuous in claiming
that getting the Rmetrics package to go under Linux is transparent.
If you have to dig into the code and edit it, then transparent it
ain't.  It may be perfectly easy ***once you know what you're
doing***, but that's a big ``once''.

It is particularly unfair to snarl exasperatedly at inquirers for not
reading the instructions --- as someone did recently --- when there
are in fact NO instructions telling you that you have to dig in and
edit the code.

And I think it is perfectly ***fair*** to say to say that the package
maintainers could and should have done a better job of setting up the
package to make it run out-of-the-box on Linux.

				cheers,

					Rolf Turner
					rolf at math.unb.ca