[R] symbol size in plot

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu May 20 10:13:19 CEST 2004

On 19 May 2004 at 12:04, Ulrich Leopold wrote:

> Dear list,
>
>  I have been reading the archives already but I do not manage to plot
> the correct size of symbols without running into other problems.
>
> When I use the syntax below I get the size of symbols and text right
> but the text overlays on top of the axis rather than be in the right
> position when you using the defaults for plot. Furthermore the ticks
> of the axis appear to be too small. Is there a way of getting things
> correct like in the default plot?

Hi

I am not sure what do you want to accomplish. What is wrong on default plot.
If you want to shrink just points use cex in

par(mfrow=c(2,2))
plot(x,y, pch=16, cex=0.2)

and if you want to enlarge some characters in plot use cex.axis or cex....
according to par help page

e.g.

plot(x,y, pch=16, cex=0.2, cex.lab=2, cex.axis=2)

par(mfrow=c(2,2))
plot(1:10,1:10)
plot(1:10,1:10, cex=.2)
plot(1:10,1:10, cex=.2, cex.axis=2)
plot(1:10,1:10, cex=.2, cex.axis=2, cex.lab=2)

I suppose that in your definition of par you first shrink all points and characters in
plot to 0.2 of their default size and then you increase the size of some 5 times e.g.
to the default size, but I may be wrong.

Cheers
Petr