[R] Accessing more than 2GB memory in Windows

Marcus Davy MDavy at hortresearch.co.nz
Thu May 20 04:38:32 CEST 2004

Hi,
I am also interested in the same topic, that is windows 32bit
restriction to 4Gigs of virtual
address space partitioning into User and System space.
For your reconfigured server 3:1 User to System space what does

memory.limit()

say is available?

For those interested a windows FAQ link on this subject is

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/R/rw-FAQ.html#There%20seems%20to%20be%20a%20limit%20on%20the%20memory%20it%20uses!

marcus

>>> "Steve Jernigan - PA" <sjerniga at GMACCM.com> 20/05/2004 7:58:37 AM

Greetings,

Can anyone confirm that R can access more than 2GB
of virtual memory on Windows? We are in the process
of porting a memory-hungry routine from Linux.

We are using R 1.8.1 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server;
we've set the 3GB switch in boot.ini, and rebooted
twice. We have run editbin against Rgui.exe ad Rterm.exe
and confirmed the header settings with dumpbin.exe.

We are invoking R with
"C:\Program Files\R\rw1081\bin\Rgui" --max-mem-size=3G

Does anyone have a simple script that they have used to
confirm that R can access more than 2GB? We have tried
a few without success.

Regards,

Steve Jernigan