[R] Accessing more than 2GB memory in Windows

Steve Jernigan - PA sjerniga at GMACCM.com
Wed May 19 21:58:37 CEST 2004

Greetings,

Can anyone confirm that R can access more than 2GB
of virtual memory on Windows? We are in the process
of porting a memory-hungry routine from Linux.

We are using R 1.8.1 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server;
we've set the 3GB switch in boot.ini, and rebooted
twice. We have run editbin against Rgui.exe ad Rterm.exe
and confirmed the header settings with dumpbin.exe.

We are invoking R with
"C:\Program Files\R\rw1081\bin\Rgui" --max-mem-size=3G

Does anyone have a simple script that they have used to
confirm that R can access more than 2GB? We have tried
a few without success.

Regards,

Steve Jernigan