[R] ld: warning ... Max osx

Ingmar Visser i.visser at uva.nl
Mon May 17 21:21:58 CEST 2004

Hi All,

When installing a package using C++/Fortran routines I get a large number of
ld warnings:

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _adler32
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/R(adler32.o) definition of _adler32
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib(adler32.o) definition of _adler32
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _BC
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/Frameworks/libreadline.4.3.dyl
ib(terminal.so) definition of _BC
/usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib(lib_termcap.o) definition of _BC

and many more

My platform is:
platform powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
arch     powerpc
os       darwin6.8
system   powerpc, darwin6.8
status
major    1
minor    9.0
year     2004
month    04
day      12
language R

The package seems to work fine, but I am surprised to get these warnings
because I did not them when installing the same package under R 1.8

What is the reason of these warnings and how can I prevent them?

best, ingmar