[R] importing text file with duplicate rows / indexing rows and columns

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 16 08:24:13 CEST 2004

The issue is not `duplicate rows' but duplicated row names.  You asked R
explicitly to make a column into row names -- if they are not suitable row
names, don't do that.  You can remove duplicated rows later (see ?unique)
but you cannot have duplicated row names in a data frame so leave them as
numbers.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk