[R] Work around for TukeyHSD names

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Fri May 14 22:04:31 CEST 2004

R Version 2.0.0 Under development (unstable) (2004-05-07)
I have been wanting to use TukeyHSD for two and three way aov's, as
they are especially simple for students to use correctly. I realize
model simplification is usually a preferred methodology, but my
disciplinary enertia and simplicity of TukeyHSD is also compelling.
However, the lack of names on the comparisons for the higher order
interactions has frustrated us. Here I present a simple, if clumsy
work-around to provide names for both the tabluar and plot outputs.

ANY FEEDBACK would be appreciated.

My work-around example:

data(warpbreaks)
fm1 <- aov(breaks ~ wool * tension, data = warpbreaks)

a <- TukeyHSD(fm1, "wool:tension") ; a # Gives unlabeled differences

wt <- warpbreaks$tension:warpbreaks$wool # Creates interaction term
with the correct order of comparisons

b <-TukeyHSD(aov(breaks~wt,warpbreaks))) # Correctly labels differences
, but provides differences that, I think, are slightly inaccurate.

rowames(a) <- rownames(b) # Provides rownames for the correct
differences

par(mar=c(5,10,4,2)+0.1)
plot(a, las=1) # Puts correct labels on differences.

Thanks for any comments,
Hank Stevens

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056