[R] recover should send messages to stderr, not stdout

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at evafunds.com
Wed May 12 20:59:48 CEST 2004

Unfortunately, R help doesn't reflect the apparent diversity of
opinions. Regarding recover it says

     The use of 'recover' largely supersedes 'dump.frames' as an error
     option, unless you really want to wait to look at the error.  If
     'recover' is called in non-interactive mode, it behaves like
     'dump.frames'.  <...>

>     options(error=expression(if(interactive()) recover() else
> dump.calls()))

This is useful. Thank you very much for the tip!

> On Tue, 11 May 2004, Vadim Ogranovich wrote:
>
> > recover() sends all its messages, which I consider to be error
> > messages, to stdout. I think they more properly belong to stderr.
> >
> > This is an important difference for those of us who use R in batch
> > mode to generate ASCII files.
>
> Only to the subset who believe that recover() is a useful
> error option in
> non-interactive use.

This subset is likely to include everyone who carefully reads the
documentation, see the above excerpt from a help page.

Thanks,
Vadim