[R] Problem installing SparseM on Debian stable

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 12 17:27:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 10:10:56AM -0500, elijah wright wrote:

> > You need to find a version of SparseM in the CRAN archive of comparable
> > age to your R version (nearly two years),
> >
> > *or*, much better, update your R to 1.9.0 (or the current patched
> > version)

CRAN has Debian packages of R itself up to version 1.8.1 -- so an upgrade of
R itself to an almost recent version may help in getting SparseM built.

I had promised to try building 1.9.0 for the Debian stable release, but have
not found time to do so. If someone wants to step in, it would certainly be
appreciated by the users of Debian 'stable'.

> the current R packages available in debian unstable work VERY well.
> as a bonus, quite a few of the CRAN packages have been debianized and are
> quite easy to install.

Hopefully we'll get to making most of CRAN available that way, but it may
only be for the testing / unstable release branches.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page