[R] installing mgcv (Knoppix/Debian unstable)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue May 11 18:01:24 CEST 2004

Hi Ben,

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:57:40AM -0400, Ben Bolker wrote:

>   Just in case anyone cares or is hitting the same problem:

Any reason you choose to not install install the evailable package?

edd at chibud:~> apt-cache policy r-cran-mgcv
r-cran-mgcv:
  Installed: 0.9.6-3
  Candidate: 0.9.6-3
  Version Table:
     1.0.4-1 0
         -1 http://basebud unstable/main Packages
 *** 0.9.6-3 0
        500 http://basebud testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
edd at chibud:~>

> to install current mgcv (1.0-5) on 1.9.0 on Knoppix/Debian unstable I had
> to:
>
> # cd /usr/lib
> # ln -s /usr/lib/atlas/libblas.so.3 libblas-3.so
> # ln -s /usr/lib/atlas/liblapack.so.3 liblapack-3.so
>
> Otherwise compilation couldn't find -lblas-3 or -llapack-3

The R package may need a recompilation if something changed w.r.t. to the
libraries, though Camm is typically careful not to require this. I need to
check this, unfortunately my main build machine is currently sick.

> (I could have gotten away with the links in /usr/lib/atlas instead of
> /usr/lib, as /usr/lib/atlas was listed in /etc/ld.so.conf)

You should never need a fudge like this on Debian system. Something else is
not right, and we need to fix that.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page