[R] Hypertext links in help files.

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Tue May 11 16:10:08 CEST 2004

I've recently (finally!) installed R 1.9.0 on my laptop.  Having
done so I've encountered a mild problem with hypertext links from
help files in add-on packages to ``native'' R functions.  For example
if I load the ``spatstat'' package, and ask for help on mpl(), I can
see in the browser (I'm using mozilla) a link to glm().  When I click
on this link I get an error message:

	The file /tmp/RtmpLqFtcQ/.R/library/base/html/glm.html
	cannot be found.  Please check the location and try
	again.

(Hah!)  Well, it's no wonder that it can't be found --- glm() is no
longer in the base package, but rather in the stats package.  So
the browser should be looking for:

	/tmp/RtmpLqFtcQ/.R/library/stats/html/glm.html

The problem arises, I guess, because the package, as it stands, was
installed using R 1.8.1.  The code in ..../spatstat/html/mpl.html
does indeed point to ../../base/html/glm.html and not to
../../stat/html/glm.html as it should.

But when I re-installed spatstat using R 1.9.0, nothing changed
in this regard.

I presume I could fix things by completely removing the directory
containiny the installed version of spatstat and then re-installing
again under R 1.9.0.  But this seems a trifle indelicate.  Is there
a more graceful way of handling this problem?  Or is there something
that I should have done which would have kept this problem from
arising?  I had a fairly thorough read of the ``NEWS'' file and
could find no relevent information.

					cheers,

						Rolf Turner
						rolf at math.unb.ca